• Olive oil
• 1 package ravioli cooked halfway (2 ½ minutes for the ones in your to go bag)
• 1 jar marinara (with less sugar and calories)
• 1 cup shredded part skim mozzarella cheese & ½ cup shredded parmesean cheese mixed together
• 2 cups of chopped vegetables (examples: zucchini, yellow squash, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, red peppers, mushrooms)
• 1 ½ cups fresh spinach or 1 package frozen (defrost and squeeze out all the water)
• 1 medium onion
• 2 garlic cloves chopped
• 1 tsp. basil
• 1 tsp. oregano
• Salt & pepper
1. If using an oven, preheat to 350. Oil a 9×9 inch (microwave safe) casserole – pyrex is ideal. Heat skillet to medium high. Add olive oil and cook onion until soft, add garlic and cook for another minute. Add your chopped vegetables, basil, oregano, and ¼ cup of water and season with salt and pepper. Cook until tender, remove from heat, and mix in ½ of tomato sauce. The sauce should be a little thin – it will help cook the ravioli the rest of the way.
2. Put thin layer of just sauce in bottom of casserole. Add single layer of raviolis, then a layer of the vegetable mixture and top with cheeses.
3. Repeat #2 above, and finish with the vegetable layer topped with just sauce. Cover with foil and cook for 45 minutes if using oven; take foil off, sprinkle with rest of cheese and cook for another 10 minutes. For microwave, cover with plastic wrap and pierce the wrap a few times to let steam escape. Cook at medium power for 10 minutes, turn dish, top with rest of cheese and then cook another 10 minutes.
4. Remove from oven or microwave & let cool for 10 minutes, then serve
Easiest Tomato Sauce
Making your own tomato sauce saves money and it doesn’t have all of the added sugar and preservatives like the ones you buy.
• 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano and dried basil
• 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
• 2 garlic cloves, crushed
• 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes or plain tomato sauce
Heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook for 2 minutes. Add oregano, basil and salt. Cook and stir for 3 minutes until onions begin to brown. Add crushed garlic. Cook 30 seconds. Add tomatoes. Turn heat to high and cook with stirring until simmering. Turn heat to medium low. Simmer 10 minutes and it’s ready..