This simple salad, called a Caprese Salad, originated in Italy.
It is typically a summer dish, when tomatoes and basil are at their peak.
• ½ lb. fresh mozzarella cheese
• 2 large tomatoes
• 1 c. fresh basil leaves
• Salt and pepper to taste
• ¼ c. olive oil
1. Slice the mozzarella and tomatoes, in ¼-inch thick rounds.
2. On a serving plate, layer alternating slices of mozzarella and tomatoes.
3. Sprinkle fresh basil over the mozzarella and tomatoes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
4. Just before serving, drizzle olive oil over the salad.