• 4 large green, yellow or red peppers
• 1 lb. ground turkey
• 1 c. cooked rice
• ¼ c. chopped onion
• 2 garlic cloves minced
• 24 oz. tomato sauce (divided into 16 and 8 oz.)
• 5 T. Taco seasoning* (set aside 1 T.)
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Carefully remove core of peppers by cutting out around stem. Cook peppers in boiling water for 2-4 minutes to soften. Drain and set aside.
3. In a skillet, cook onions until soft, add garlic and cook for a minute. Add the ground turkey and sprinkle 4 T. taco seasoning on top. Cook turkey all the way through. Add 16 oz tomato sauce and simmer for 15 minutes.
4. Put turkey in large bowl, add rice and season with salt and pepper. Let cool until you can easily handle. Stuff peppers with meat/rice mixture.
5. Coat a baking dish with 8 oz of sauce and 1 T. Taco seasoning. Place peppers in the dish, they should be very close together. Cover with aluminum foil and cook for 20 minutes.
6. Remove foil, sprinkle cheese on top and bake until cheese is melted.
*To make your own taco seasoning combine:
2 tablespoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon paprika
3 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoon sea salt
2 teaspoon black pepper