¾ cup sugar
½ cup whole wheat flour ½ cup white flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 pints fresh strawberries
whipping cream or vanilla ice cream
• Take eggs out of the refrigerator to sit at room temperature for 1-2 hours.
• Slice strawberries and sprinkle lightly with sugar and set aside.
• Once you are ready to begin the shortcake, Preheat oven to 350. Heat the milk, so it is quite hot. Add the butter to the hot milk. Set this mixture aside. Sift the flour, baking powder, and salt together. Set aside.
• With an electric mixer, beat the eggs on high speed for 3 minutes and then for 4-5 more minutes, on medium. Then add the sugar to the eggs very slowly. Beat for 7-8 minutes and then quickly fold in the dry ingredients. Begin mixing at a low speed. Give the milk and butter mixture a quick stir – gradually add it to the batter, mixing at low speed. Once well combined, add the vanilla.
• Pour into a greased and floured (or paper-lined) 8” x 8” pan.
• Bake at 350° F for 25-30 minutes. Do not over-bake; it should be moist and spongy. Cool on a rack for at least 15 minutes before serving.
• To make whipped cream, pour a pint of heavy cream into a large stainless steel bowl. Whisk vigorously until when you lift up the whisk the whipped cream holds tightly to the whisk. Do not beat further as it will turn into butter. No need to add sugar – there is enough in the strawberries and cake.
• You can take a slice of cake , then top with strawberries and cream and serve or repeat for a double layer. Enjoy.