• 2 T. vegetable oil
• 1 medium white onion, finely chopped
• 2 garlic cloves, minced
• 1 fresh jalapeño (2 inches), seeded
• 1 ½ tsp. chili powder
• 1 ¼ tsp. ground cumin
• 1tsp dried oregano
• 2 (15 oz.) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
• 3 c. water
• 1 bay leaf
1. Heat oil in a 4-to 5-quart pot over medium-high heat, then sauté onion, garlic, and jalapeño with chili powder, cumin, oregano, and 1/2 teaspoon salt until onion starts to brown, 6 to 8 minutes.
2. Add beans, water, and bay leaf and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, until soup starts to get thicker, about 15 minutes.
3. Take out 2 cups and blend or mash it and then put back in the pot and reheat – keep stirring. Throw away bay leaf. Season with salt.
4. You can add chopped cilantro at the end or serve with cilantro, sour cream, tortilla chips if you want.
Did you know? Black beans are one of the best foods for your health, your budget, and your waistline. They have a lot of fiber and protein. That means they will satisfy even the most intense hunger, and will keep you feeling full and full of energy for hours