This recipe serves 6.
• 3 lb. chicken
• 1 T salt
• 1 c. water
• 1 tsp. thyme (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 450°.
2. Rinse a 3 lb. chicken, then dry it very well with paper towels, inside and out.
3. Salt and pepper the inside of the chicken and then tie up the
bird with twine. This is not hard and it helps the chicken cook evenly and look really nice when it is done. When you tie up a bird, the wings and legs stay close to the body; the ends of the drumsticks cover the top of the breast and keep it from drying out.
4. Sprinkle 1 T salt all over the chicken. Put the chicken in a roasting pan (add cup of water to the pan) and put in the oven and turn oven down to 375°. Leave it alone! Roast it until it’s done, 50 to 60 minutes.
5. Take it out of the oven and add a teaspoon of thyme to the pan. Pour the juices over the chicken and let it rest for 15 minutes on a cutting board. Remove the twine. Cut into serving size pieces.