Sunday Suppers is an innovative community based program that works with families to improve health and well-being through the family meal, hands-on cooking lessons, community gardening and exercise. This is an exciting time to join as the program is expanding to reach more families.
The Chef is a part-time position (15-20 hours) with an intention to expand to full time in Fall 2018. The Chef is responsible for producing the weekly supper, introducing families to healthier ways to prepare and cook food, introduce fresh and new foods, build cooking skills and enhance confidence in the kitchen and mentoring and training peer leaders. The Chef plans cooking demonstrations and creates weekly meals using ingredients that are affordable and accessible, recipes are simple, straightforward and use equipment families are likely to have in their homes. The Chef reports to the Director and works collaboratively with the Sunday Suppers team.
● Plan menus, grocery shop, prepare food, manage kitchen volunteers to execute weekly dinners and monthly Alumni dinners. Ensure kitchen is thoroughly cleaned, items are stored away and trash is removed.
● Oversee kitchen volunteers.
● Mentor and train Peer Leaders in all aspects of food preparation and service.
● Attend weekly team meetings and contribute to program family interaction education.
● Conduct regular cooking demonstrations designed to equip families with the skills and knowledge to cook healthy meals at home more regularly.
● Develop classes and programs designed to build skills and to encourage greater participation in Sunday Suppers in collaboration with the Group Facilitator and Program Manager.
● Establish and maintain relationships with restaurants, vendors, and supermarkets to solicit donations of fresh produce, proteins, kitchen equipment and pantry items.
● Pick up donated items and integrate into weekly menu (often with limited lead time).
● Follow all guidelines as part of our relationship with our partner site(s).
Skills & Experience
● Must have knowledge of food preparation, serving, kitchen procedures and safety.
● Ability to communicate clearly and educate on cooking and food preparation techniques.
● Interest in soliciting food donations and creating partnerships.
● Demonstrated enthusiasm about cooking accessible and affordable meals is highly preferred.
● Experience working with diverse communities.
● Must have flexibility to work some evenings.
● Must be ServSafe certified or willing to become ServSafe certified
● High school diploma or equivalent.
● Bilingual in Spanish a plus.
● Must have a car, valid driver’s license and insurance.
Sunday Suppers is a fiscally-sponsored project of Share Food Program. Share is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion or belief, disability, gender, nationality, ethnicity, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or any other status protected by law. Women, people of color, LGBTQ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Please email resumes to: Linda Samost, Director firstname.lastname@example.org